Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What I hate most.......

I wasn't able to eat anything tonight after having a stressful conversation with my customer this evening. My hands were shaking not because of hunger but because I was very upset. I just froze there and tears flowed like river.

I never thought I would have to be in this situation again after learning the hard truth a couple of years ago. I thought I was smart enough now after going through similar experiences before. Thinking perhaps I can protect myself from getting fooled again. Boy was I wrong.....

If there is one thing I can't stand is people who take advantage of the artist's hard work. We work hard day and night figuring out how to make our artwork better.....we do a lot of research and brainstorming for new ideas. Then we see our ideas and hard work get taken away by these thieves. It's ok to love our ideas....it's ok that you want to buy the artwork.....but please don't claim that it's yours just because you bought it from me. If I knew in the beginning that the plan was to use my artwork for their project, I wouldn't have done or taken the order in the first place. I'm sorry but that's me. That's how I work. I don't appreciate people claiming my work as theirs and putting their logo on it. It's not like I work for them....I'm not their employee.....I don't get paid monthly to do designs for them....

And what I hate the most is when my customer said that I should have told her about my logo.....that I should have told her that all my artwork has logos on them. I think that goes without saying!! Most artists I know put their logos or brand name on all their artworks.....that's how it works. Too bad that she has no idea about all this. Too bad that she had a hard time taking my logo off my handmade cards. It's just too bad!

Just when I'm starting to feel happy again....and motivated to create... I get this news slapped on my face. All of this trouble for both sides could have been prevented if only she was honest to me in the first place...... :(
What I hate most.......SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

4 comments:

mangosteenskin said...

i know how u feel lin.

that is also one of the reason why i quit taking orders for business card and stickers. because most people that come to me asked me to create artwork as logo for them, but i only asked them to pay for the product price eg; business card or stickers. Meanwhile,I sometimes took the whole day drawing, and another day to edit and print~thus I have to put down all my other tasks in office---> which later lead to other problems. In this case, I really don't know how to claim my so-called-intelectual-property coz evrytime I create something personalized for my customer, it'll be their brand or name on it. Even our idea is considered our property you know! Until today, I still "bengong" memikirkan how shall I charge my customer ~ even for rubberstamps, sometimes I took days just to brainstorm and sketching my ideas ~ while sometimes when I show it to customer, they ask to change this and that, or change minds and cancel previous design etc. Some customers they even claim that they inspired us to do the design while the fact is they only tell us what they want; eg; they want something green and yellow, small butterfly, big butterfly, round shape, oval shape etc...but we are the one who go down to make all the research and artworks. What I want to say is...I understand how tiring it is trying to create something unique for each of our customer, of coz it's frustrating if our hardwork is being taken advantage.

So far, I'm thankful this issue never happens to me and my customers always give credit to me, and even help to promote my artworks. but if it ever happens, of course, it would break my heart.

Really, I'm still trying how to figure this out, coz I have yet to understand about this copyright reserve thingy.

Ohya, this case also happens to a photographer during the election campaign of Barack Obama. I forgot names, sorry. But there's this artist who use a photo taken by this photographer as reference and create an artwork...which later widely used in posters, banners, sourvenirs, blogs, etc. At the end of the day, the photographer sued the artist, but the artist claim that he did't profit from all the campaign because people just copy and use his artwork freely. Huh...really, it's not easy to protect intelectual property kan?

Just never give up. They only got the fish, not the pancing. So only you can tangkap the ikan. Diorang pulak, lepas makan ikan tu habeslah...tinggal tulang...kasi miaow-miaow makan. Hehe.

Azlina Abdul said...

Mango dear...thank you!!

Only those who are in the same boat as I am understands what I'm talking about here! I pun masih bengong when it comes to this intellectual property thingy. Plus the rights for my artwork as well. It's a lot to think about and do.

I just need to be more careful next time and be more precise when it comes to dealing with the orders. I also need to think of what I should and should no longer do.

A couple of years ago, someone bought a large order of cards from me and sold it 3 times the original price. That also broke my heart. From that day onwards, I never let anyone buy in large quantity from me ever again. They just want to make money out of our hard work. It's better that we go and sell them ourselves at flea market ke apa ke....lebih menguntungkan.

Sometimes I feel like I want to stop taking custom made orders because it takes too much of my time and yet they only pay little for the extra work. It's not worth it at all!! After what happened to me yesterday...I think it's high time I stopped or do it minimally. I guess I have to seriously think about this.

Thanks again Mango...you have certainly have made me feel so much better! :)

CC said...

Oh, Sweetie!
Who would do this to you??? I was just checking on your beautiful new stamping, & then I read this! I am outraged!!! I totally understand what you are going thru'! And there are laws against it! Only it takes money & international attorneys to help! I am so upset that someone did this to you!
As an illustrator, I was sometimes paid to do a quick illustration...but I KNEW I was giving them the copyright! I didn't care 'cuz I still had my talent!!! And so do YOU! The person who stole from you obviously doesn't have the talent you do or they would make their own designs! ACK!!! It is one of the reasons I decided to get out of illustration & back into fine arts. If you only make one painting, for example, you could ask for more money & then let it go! There are legal contracts you can have customers sign if you want to keep your image copyright...like to use on something else.
Have you ever thought of just making one design & then having them printed out & sold? There are companies online that are reputable, but maybe you know someone there!
In the meantime, please remember that YOU are the one with all of the talent!!! NO ONE can take that from you! EVER!!!
I'm sorry this happened. Please LMK if I can help you in any way!
Love you!
CC
P.S. I had it happen to me once too, but my partner's husband saw the woman who stole my design & came back to tell me...she was so embarrassed, she closed up shop before I could get to her!!! ACK!!!

Azlina Abdul said...

CC....you understand me....always! Thank God for friends like you who will always keep me sane in this crazy world we live in....Thank God....